Tuesday, 2 August 2011

A Byzantine Palanquin...

Of course, this is a picture of a sedan chair not a palanquin.  My husband and I stumbled across it in an English pub when we were on one of our week-end walks.     I probably shouldn't have been on a walk at all, because the deadline for my WIP is at the end of the month, and there's still a lot to do.One of the the scenes that particularly needs work is a scene where my Byzantine princess is carried to her wedding in a palanquin.   Could  I find a picture of  Byzantine Palanquin?   You may guess not.
A walk was needed.    Quite by chance we stumbled across this sedan chair in an inn.  The painting on the sides are quite beautiful, I don't know if you can see, but there's a French look to them.  And if you look closely you can see the metal loops at the bottom where the carrying bars would be placed.
There's a little more about how not to find a Byzantine palanquin and the mysteries of writing and research here on the Harlequin Historicals Author Blog

And if anyone has a picture of a real Byzantine palanquin, I would be very grateful!

By the way, the inn was the Crown at Chiddingfold, and I had mussels and chips for lunch...I LOVE mussels and chips.
Here's a close-up of the crown which attracted me in the first place, given my heroine is a Byzantine princess.

2 comments:

kate tremayne said...

Isn't a palanquin a covered litter for a person reclining with curtains at the side and carried on the shoulders by four men. Sorry could not find a photo for you.

Also sounds like a great way to travel depending of course of the men.

Carol Townend said...

Hi Kate,
Yes, a palanquin is very similar to a sedan chair, although I think that sometimes a palanquin could be larger than a sedan. I will simply have to use my imagination - unless anyone can come up with a picture of a Byzantine palanquin....