Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Blogging at eHarlequin...and celebratory walk


There is a brief blog on eHarlequin today... Harlequin Historicals Group Author Blog about a visit to the village of Hambleden and the church of St Mary's.    This picture is the painted church ceiling above the choir, you can see Tudor roses.   In medieval and Tudor times, most church interiors were brightly painted.   The plain walls and wooden carvings we see today are much duller than they were originally.
The church font is said to be twelfth century, though it might be from the original Saxon church.   My picture hasn't come out that well, you can just about make out the dove in the patterns on the side.


And the reason for the celebratory walk?   I had just submitted a draft of my second Byzantine novel to my editor...

2 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Did you watch the BBC 4 programme on reading churches?
It was really interesting.

Anyway, it is lovely that Martha has a church. Is she the patron saint of housekeepers? She was the cleaning while Mary sat at Jesus's feet, yes?

And hooray for turning in your draft of the 2nd Byzantine. Can't wiat to read it.

Carol Townend said...

No, I missed the churches programe, I am a bit behind on my television, we still have to catch up with the latest 'Pillars of the Earth' episode! And, Yes, I think Marth was the busy bee of the sisters, as it were...