Tuesday, 29 December 2009

The Medieval Rooms & Happy New Year!


This was a first visit to the new Medieval & Renaissance galleries at the V & A in London.   The picture above is an twelfth century illumination of St Mark writing his gospel.   It is done with watercolour on parchment with burnished gold, and if you look closely, you can see St Mark has a bookstand with what looks like barleytwist carving.   He has laid out his writing things on his desk, the pen, ink, scraper etc

There was so much to see in the new rooms, it is on three floors.  I couldn't take it all in in one visit, which gives me the perfect excuse to go back again.    And again.  Here is an angel who caught my husband's eye.




And here is a fragment of silk from Byzantium, with a griffin on it.




And here is wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Lovely pics, Carol (and that angel caught my eye, too).

Happy new year :o)

Alison said...

I am very jealous indeed! A happy new year to you too Carol.

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

Oh I just love these thanks for sharing. Every happiness in the new year.
Warmest regards,
Simone.