Monday, 26 October 2009

Autumn, Sissinghurst & Chestnuts!


Autumn seems to bring out the hunter gatherer in me. Yesterday, my husband and I drove to Sissinghurst and had a walk in the woods. There are lots of sweet chestnut trees, and when we weren't slipping and sliding on the muddy clay paths (it had rained earlier) we noticed there were hundreds of chestnuts on the ground. They seem to be a couple of weeks behind the chestnuts in Kew, and those all got eaten by the bar-headed geese. So I went a bit mad and picked a bowlful. They are all for me, because my husband doesn't like them. After our walk we visited Vita Sackville-West's gardens which were stunning, even in October.

4 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Ooh, Carol, what beautiful pics! To my shame, I still haven't yet visited Sissinghurst. (It's been on my list for a long, long time.)

Smiling about the chestnuts. My daughter would've been with you on that one. There's a tree at school, so she always comes out of school with a pocketful, bless her.

Carol Townend said...

Hi Kate,
Go when the roses are out because of the White Garden - you won't regret it. But it is a magical and inspiring place at any time of the year!

Alison said...

Sissinghurst is gorgeous!

David said...

Nice Photos !